get support

Get Support

It’s OK to ask for help and there are lots of great people out there who are happy to answer questions or help support you. Check out some of the services available below and get connected.

Being In Care

Ministry for Vulnerable Children, Oranga Tamariki

0508 FAMILY (326 459)

If you're worried about your family, you can call Oranga Tamariki and talk to a trained social worker. They will be able to listen to you, and then work out what kind of help your family might need.

If you have questions related to your rights and wellbeing in care, The Office of the Children’s Commisioner advocates for the rights of children and young people in law, policy and practice and they monitor services under the Children, Young Persons and their Families Act.

Legal Services

Lawyer for Child

Your lawyer represents you in any court processes, and will help explain what’s going on, and make sure the judge is told what you think. If you don’t know who your lawyer is or how to get in touch with them, ask your social worker.

YouthLaw Tino Rangatiratanga Taitamariki is a free community law centre for children and young people nationwide.

YouthLink run a bunch of programmes for young people aged 11 to 16 who have significant care and protection or youth justice concerns, they could provide the support you need to reach your goals.

Education And Career

Thinking about learning more, getting training or heading to work? Youth Service supports 16 to 19 year olds to find pathways to jobs and an independent future.

Health And Wellbeing

Check them out for help about anything, big or small stuff, that’s going on with you and you would like some advice for. They can help 24/7.

If your problems are getting you down, messing you up or just plain muddling with your brain, talk to Aunty Dee. She’s here to help you figure things out.

Free call or text 1737 any time, 24 hours a day. You’ll get to talk to (or text with) a trained counsellor. The service is completely free.


0800 543 754

Going through a tough time? You can talk for free to a trained youth volunteer at Kidsline 24/7, they help young people up to the age of 18 and can give you advice for what you’re going through.

Lifeline Aotearoa

0800 543 354

Want to speak to someone about how you’re feeling right now? Whether you’re stressed, lonely, depressed or unsure, Lifeline have a free phone line that you can call 24/7 where you can speak with someone who will be able to help.

0800 What's Up (0800 942 8787) is a free counselling service. It’s a safe place for you to talk about anything at all, so if you need support or someone to talk to, give them a call as they’d love to chat. You can call free Monday to Friday 1pm to 10pm, and Saturday and Sunday 3pm to 10pm.

SPARX helps young people learn skills to deal with feeling down, depressed or stressed. It’s normal to feel down, angry or stressed at times but when these feelings don’t go away or start affecting how you’re getting on with school, you may need some extra help.

Gender Or Sexual Identity

If you are wondering about your gender or sexual identity, the awesome people at Rainbow Youth can help.

Sexual Harm

HELP works to empower women and children recovering from the effects of abuse and educates the community on preventing sexual abuse in the future.

Sexual Health

Te Kaha O Te Rangatahi are a Māori Community based service delivering sexual health and teenage pregnancy services to young Māori and Pacific Island rangatahi (youth) and their whanau within the Counties Manukau (South Auckland), Central, North and West Auckland areas.

Got questions about your sexual or reproductive health? Family Planning can offer you confidential and non-judgemental support and healthcare. They work with people of any gender, age, nationality or sexual orientation.

Are you a caregiver looking for support? Fostering Kids New Zealand supports families to provide children with stable, loving home for as long as it’s needed and to do their absolute best for children in need. Visit their website or call 0800 693 323 for more information.